Thursday, December 09, 2010

 

And They Called it...The Truffle Shuffle

Happy Friday, all.

My good friend Dr. Joel of such blogs as The Grain Bill, Eat The Blog, and My Little Pony Trading Post fame, recently tagged me in a note on Facebook.

The instructions were as follows:

Gang,

I don't normally do these things, but this one seems pretty dang fun and I'm curious to see what pops up for me and for you, so away we go......

First rule - be honest! Don't keep shuffling forward for "cooler" songs. This is a 'getting to know you' exercise. Once you've been tagged...

(1) Turn on your MP3 player or music player on your computer. (If you don't know how to do this, smack yourself in the head with your MP3 player or computer.)

(2) Go to SHUFFLE mode.

(3) Write down the first 15 songs that come up - title and artist. NO editing/cheating, please.

(4) Choose 25 people to be tagged, including me. Because people love being tagged, even if they say they don't.


This sounded like something interesting to do while I slaved away at my computer after hours, meticulously mapping out my sales route to be as efficient and effective as possible, and also painstakingly researching new product lines we have coming in so that I can be the best salesman I can be. (Can you tell I know that at least one of my bosses reads this?)

After opening twelve different spreadsheets and the winery webpages in their original native languages so I could really get the true spirit of the wines down (I'm fluent in every language except Canadian,) I launched Winamp. Following are the results.

1. Texas Tornadoes - Who Were You Thinking Of

2. Waylon Jennings/Willie Nelson - Mama Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys

3. Willie Nelson - City of New Orleans

4. Bad Religion - All There Is

5. America - She's Gonna Let You Down

6. Old 97's - Big Brown Eyes

7. Failure - Pillowhead

8. N.E.R.D. - Drill Sergeant

9. MC Chris - Kill It

10. Primus - Tippi Toes

11. Bubbles - Bidibodi Bidibu

12. Primus - To Defy the Laws of Tradition

13. Old 97's - Beer Cans

14. Billy Joel - The Times They Are A-Changin'

15. America - Ventura Highway

16. MC Chris - Never Give Up

17. Jonathan Coulton - Creepy Doll

18. Cheap Trick - I Want You to Want Me

19. Weezer- Beverly Hills

20. Billy Joel - Only the Good Die Young

21. Minus The Bear - Hey! Is That a Ninja Up There?

22. Billy Joel - Big Man on Mulberry Street

23. Dinosaur Jr - Friends

24. Billy Joel - We Didn't Start the Fire

25. Reverand Horton Heat - Galaxy 500

You probably notice a few things about this list. First, I was only instructed to write down 15 songs. I did 25, for two reasons. One, I am an overachiever. Two, I almost never read all of the instructions.

Secondly, I am seemingly in love with the musical stylings of one Mr. William Joel. I won't deny it, I love his music...however, I am amazed that a random sampling of the over 2500 songs on my hard drive returned no less than 4 out of 25 selections. I have the entire discography of: Steely Dan, Daft Punk, and Calexico on my hard drive. Not a single song from any one of these bands showed up. Fascinating.

I would love to hear what some of you out there have as results. Feel free to throw it out there in the comments section.

Play me out, Mr Piano Man...

JT out.

* I may have lied about Joel being behind the My Little Pony Trading Post site.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?